Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Menu Driven Identities

The article "Menu-Driven Identities" was very strange to me. I can't understand why race is important on the internet. It seems to me that Lisa Nakamura is saying race should not matter, however we still in some kind of way need to be interested in race when we are on the web. The difference between blacks and whites having access to computers or being on line, is not about race. I think it is more about socio-economic issues. This article made me think about some of the students I have taught in the pass. These students were not computer literate because they did not have computers in their homes. However, the students who did, were computer literate. These students were both black and white, they just came from low socio-economic backgrounds. The school where I teach now, both the black and white students seem to have access to the computer. I don't think it is about just black and white, it seems to be who can afford a computer. I think at the end black students realize how important it is to be literate. They must use all of their resources outside of the home to become more involved with internet.

No comments:

Post a Comment