Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Interactive Audiences

I read Jenkin's article several times because I found it a bit confusing. After the third read through I believe that I have the overall gist of the article. I find myself on the outside of the technological movement and don't know many people who have taken up arms in its quest of world domination. I use computers for work and school but beyond that I do not find myself in the "cosmopedia" described by Levy. I don't contribute to fandoms, blogs (except for this class :), nor do I purchase or sell items via the internet. As I look around my classroom, my students are very similiar to me in their use of technology. One might argue that culture might play a role in this "phenomenon" but I can't sustiantiate such a claim. Is it a socio-economic issue or is it rooted in a fear of change? These are questions that I raised as I read the article because while it talked about engaging the young teenage boy who is technologically savvy, I couldn't identify this boy. I think these casts a light on Jenkin's view about society and his assumptions that "everyone" has and will embrace these technologiacl advancements.

No comments:

Post a Comment