Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Wikipedia

According to the article, "Wikipedia users tend to be more tech-savvy than the rest of the population, and because tech-savvy individuals are more likely to have science and engineering backgrounds, entries on these topics are some of the strongest in the encyclopedia. This website has grown into an immensely useful resource for background information on a wide range of scientific subjects, and can serve as a quick reference for any number of scientific facts. " While these statement bode well for wikipedia's accuracy it doesn't defend why elementary and high school students would need to access this resource. I am not a wikipedia user (maybe because I'm not a scientist or tech-savvy) but I have always been able to find the (mundane) information that I needed. I think elementary, middle and high school students would fail to benefit from such "scholarly" entries.

No comments:

Post a Comment