Tuesday, January 27, 2009

West Paper

I was intrigued by the way Ms. West chose to use blogging in her high school Literature class. I think allowing students to respond to text via blogging is an innovative way to meet the timeless objectives related to Literature ( ie. analyzing and interpreting text). However, not all schools have adequate access to technology the way it was demonstrated in the paper. I currently teach at a school that has one computer lab which is used to conduct Keyboarding and Computer Skills classes. I have access to two classroom computers which are not always "cooperative." In addition, I instruct a population of students who don't have computers within their homes. While the concpet of incorporating blogging in my class is exciting, it isn't feasable.

1 comment:

  1. I think the way Ms. West utilized blogging is just what Dr. Harrison is speaking of about education catching up with the "New Age" and students. Cumberland County Schools invest alot of money to integrate technology across the curriculum! Most schools have the ability to implement this aspect of writing through blogging and or twittling. I think the bigger issue is actually the "Dinosaur" teachers. Not to make it sound derrogatory, but it's reference to those teachers who have been around way before technology came into play. So having a teacher who is versed in this type of learning, or not intimidated by learning new tecnological things is the key issue! In addition a vast majority of students do have access to computers at home, or the public library. Kudos to those teachers who are implementing this type of diverse learning. It gives new meaning to "Rigor" and "Differintiation" in that more advanced and technological savy students may choose to present writing in this manner, where as the less advance may choose a less challenging way and be just as successful. I know I am really excited about learning more about blogging and twittling.
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete